8th September 2016
We are leading the global beverage industry in sustainability for the 3rd consecutive year according to Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (DJSI)
This year, we achieved a achieved a total score of 90, which is 40 points higher than the industry average and 3 points higher than last year.
This is a very important achievement for our business, as we are the 1st company managing to lead the beverages industry, globally, for the 3rd consecutive year in one of the most credible and widely acknowledged corporate sustainability ranking. It proves that our sustainability plan & concerted efforts are on track. Moreover, it is the ninth year we have been included in the global assessment, thanks to our robust and consistent sustainability performance.
In 2015, we:
- continued to reduce our environmental footprint with a double-digit year-on-year decrease of our carbon emissions, and
- further reduced the amount of water used for producing a litre of beverage, as well as the amount of packaging materials, despite higher production and sales volume.
- In addition, we invested €8.2 million – 2.3% of our annual pre-tax profit – in improving community wellbeing, focusing on 3 key areas: active lifestyle, environmental and water stewardship and youth development, in partnership with more than 230 NGOs.
These are only a few practical ways of how our company supports the global action to reach the Sustainable Development Goals adopted by the United Nations.
Sustainability is an integral part of our culture, visible in every aspect of our business, an important element of who we are and why we are coming into job everyday: to bring togetherness, spread happiness and inspire a better future!
We are very proud of what we have achieved all these years and we feel inspired and motivated to continue this journey by raising the bar even more.
We are proud of the local initiatives that contributed to the sustainability performance of the group. Since 2010, the team at Coca-Cola HBC Ireland and Northern Ireland have:
- reduced water usage by 13%
- reduced carbon emissions by 52%
- reduced contribution of waste to landfill to zero (ahead of target) and
- reduced the amount of plastic wrap used around each pallet and case.
The team is well on track to achieve its local targets, and will continue to play its part in helping Group to meet its global commitments.
All together we can build a sustainable planet. Join us in this effort and incorporate small sustainability actions in your everyday life:
- Bike or use public transport;
- Switch of the lights when you leave your office or home;
- Save water and reuse it for your flowers or cleaning the house.
2015 key performance highlights
- 33.311 employees
- 43.000 suppliers
- €1.3 billion spent in direct procurement
- €271 million total taxes paid
- 11.7 % direct carbon emissions reduction year-on-year
- Energy use ratio improved by 7.2% year-on-year
- 19.4% increase of recycled PET usage year-on-year
- 87% sustainable engagement score